I have been trialing a blackberry and apple chia seed loaf for a while…well, originally it was a banana and blackberry walnut loaf but I just could not get it right. The mixture was always too wet, so the middle was always a touch underdone while the crust was overcooked. I thought by switching out the banana and replacing with the apple that it might work but it was not meant to be. But I really loved the flavour combination of apple and balckberry.
And I really wanted to make something with blackberries. I grew up in a very rural area and down one of the lanes to our back paddocks on the farm grew an untamed blackberry bramble. I am sure Dad told me that my Great Grandmother planted this, but I can’t be sure. In order for a more lyrical and romanticised blog post let’s assume it was.
I remember walking or biking down to the bramble and carefully picking and eating the beautiful glossy berries by the handful, trying to keep the bees and wasps away.
Anyway. I could not take another baking fail, so I turned to one of my favourite (and oh so reliable) muffin recipes, Mighty Morning Muffins by My Lovely Little Lunchbox. These are delicious and jam-packed with goodness and I thought would be easily adaptable to achieve the taste combination I wanted.
Lemon, Apple & Blackberry Muffins
Zest and juice of one lemon
2 grated apples
1/2 cup of frozen blackberries
1 cup of oil (I use extra virgin light flavoured olive oil)
1 cup of greek yogurt
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup rolled oats plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease a medium muffin tin
- In a large bowl mix together the yogurt, oil, maple syrup, eggs, lemon zest and juice and grated apples
- Add the baking powder, flour and oats and gently fold through
- When almost mixed through, fold through the berries
- Spoon into a muffin tin and sprinkle the muffins lightly with rolled oats
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the muffins are lightly golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean
Adapted from My Lovely Little Lunchbox
These muffins are freezer friendly (if they last that long!) and will freeze for at least 3 months. Enjoy!
Like to pin things? Me too…pin this one! x