I have always loved the combination of chocolate and orange together – it is a match made in heaven. I actually quite vividly remember eating a chocolate orange store-brought biscuit as a treat once when I was a kid. When I was at university, every time I went to the supermarket I would check the shelves trying to find these biscuits – desperate for another taste – but sadly they had been discontinued. They have actually started making these again just recently in New Zealand but as I am in Australia now I am still missing out! But maybe I do not need to be sad anymore…because now I have this Chocolate Orange Puffin recipe that is a perfect blend of flavours while being pretty low in sugar.
Chocolate Orange Puffins
- 1.5 cups of plain flour
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of greek yogurt
- juice and zest of half an orange
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Orange or mandarin segments to top
- chocolate chips to top (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180c and grease your muffin tin well (this is important as they tend to stick easily)
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (except for the melted butter) with the orange zest then slowly whisk in the flour and baking powder into the mixture forming a batter. Add the melted butter and mix through
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin, filling each cup until they are around 2/3 full
- Top each puffin with a thin slice of mandarin or orange and a few chocolate chips
- Bake the puffins in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until they are cooked through.
I also make these as mini-muffins and they are even more popular with the littlies than the larger sized muffins. And as they are bite sized I like to think they contain practically no calories! This recipe makes 36 mini-muffins. If you make these, post them on instagram and tag me @goodiegoodielunchbox so I can see your lovely bakes!