I have been meaning to post this recipe for a while, but it’s been a very busy few weeks. Side note: as I am writing this, I am reflecting that I refer to my busyness as an excuse for my lack of regularity of blog posts…I want you to know. I am sorry. But I am guessing you do appreciate where I am coming from, given my recipes are predominantly kid food oriented, ergo you must have a kid or two so you will know exactly how quickly time can slip away – quicker than you can eat a Tim Tam. Anyway…suffice to say, kids get in the way of regular posting, but I think you will forgive me once you try these delicious morsels.
Did you try my Healthier Pizza Shapes? If you did, you will probably know that I have recently been flirting with the savoury bakes. I had not paid much attention to crackers and their ilk in the past, but I have to say, I am really loving them. These Healthier BBQ Shapes are soo tasty – the smoked paprika gives it the perfect just-off-the-grill flavour. They are a little taste bud party with every bite. I should trade mark that line for when these go global.
In seriousness, they are packed with flavour and induce a mouth-watering-need-to-have-more reaction. But, what I think I love the most about the Healthier BBQ Shapes is that I am introducing my kiddos to spices (smoked paprika) that I think as parents, we would often shy away from. But there is no need…these crackers are totally kid-friendly and like the pizza shapes, freezer friendly too, so really, if you think about it…what’s stopping you from making these right now?!
Healthier BBQ Shapes
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup of quinoa flakes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g firm (refrigerated) butter
- 1/4 cup packed fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp pizza sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp salt
- In a food processor, add all of the ingredients and process until mixture comes together and balls around the bowl. If the mix remains a breadcrumb texture add a little water slowly (up to 1 tbsp). If the mixture appears wet, add a little flour until the consistency is like pastry.
- When the dough is ready, turn onto a floured board or bench (or directly on to baking paper if that is your preference) and roll out in a rectangle to around 0.25 – 0.5cm thick.
- Carefully lay on baking paper and lay flat in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
- Meanwhile pre-heat your oven to 180c
- When the dough has chilled, sprinkle lightly with smoked paprika and then use cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes.
- Bake the shapes in the oven for around 6-10 minutes until lightly browned. The time indicated is entirely dependent on the shape sizes and how thin your dough is rolled so keep a close eye on your shapes. I find 0.25 cm thickness is ready at around 6 minutes.
I love using different cutters to make fun shapes, or you could use a pizza cutter and quickly and easily make cracker squares. One of my favourite cutters comes from the Match and Munch Set* from The Lunch Punch. So many options for you to try!
Healthier BBQ Shapes are not just for kids. I even pack these shapes in my lunchbox for work, and Mr Goodie has pronounced these his favourites.These are freezer friendly, and as they are such a big batch I normally freeze half and pull out as I need for lunchboxes or snacks.
I hope you enjoy baking these – if you do make them be sure to post these to my Facebook page so I can see your delicious bakes, or if you are an inst-fan tag me in your pics on Instagram, I’d love to see them!
Until next time…happy baking!
*This is an affiliate link – if you decide to purchase a set it won’t cost you any extra but I will earn a small commission that helps fuel me with coffee and chocolate!